Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Avoiding A Train Wreck - Part 2


THE CHALLENGE OF FRIENDS

Proverbs 27:17 says, “Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.” Nothing changes more rapidly after high school than friendships. A new job, less time with youth group friends, and college bring a whole new world of associations into the life of a young adult. This is a wonderful opportunity that brings with it some danger for those unprepared. Essentially, every graduate needs to understand how to draw a careful line between friends and acquaintances—defined as follows:

Friends are people who influence me. These are the people I desire to be like and with whom I will spend more time. These are the people whom I will allow to have influence and a sharpening effect in my life. These should always be Christians (Baptists) and godly authorities who will continue to develop and mentor me in God’s grace. Young people must remember that God placed them in the church they are in not just to raise them, but to be where they can be used by Him in ministry opportunities. It is vital to form Biblical friendships in their church. Furthermore, young people should not be overy obsessed with guy - girl relationships. (I'll save that topic for another post... or two... or three.)

Acquaintances are people I will influence. These are the people I will determine to exert influence upon without becoming like them. These are co-workers, class-mates, and people who just aren’t going the same direction in life. Amos 3:3 teaches, “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?”

Often, young people sense an obligation to relationships—an obligation to give in to pressure, to fit in, to need acceptance from the wrong people. To survive this challenge, my greatest obligations must be to honor the Lord and associate closely with people who will help me walk with Him. Graduates should feel no infatuation or obligation to potentially harmful relationships or associations. And every young person should expect that the devil will try to bring distracting relationships into his life very soon, if he hasn’t already.